I started eating chicken about 6 months ago…after being a vegan for over 20 years. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am glad I took that first bite. For me, chicken has to be almost over cooked in order for me to eat it, but I am learning how to add different flavors to help me get over that! Here is a recipe that I think many people will love!
Orange Chipotle Chicken
- 1 tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb), rinsed and patted dry, pounded ½-inch thick
- Juice 1 medium navel orange (1/3 cup orange juice)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¼ packed cup chopped cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl, combine chile powder, cumin and ¼ tsp salt. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium-high. Tilt skillet to coat bottom lightly. Season both sides of chicken with chile-cumin mixture and cook for 3 minutes per side or until no longer pink in center. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add orange juice and maple syrup to juice and bits left in skillet and cook for 1 minute to thicken slightly (until it measures ¼ cup liquid), stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and orange zest. Add chicken back to skillet, return to heat and cook for 1 minute on medium-high, turning constantly.
- In a medium bowl, combine rice, cilantro and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Serve chicken over rice and spoon any excess glaze over top chicken pieces.