Absolutely no joke – I eat more GBC than turkey at Thanksgiving. This year, I’m going to attempt this recipe so I don’t feel nearly as bad 😉
Adding 1 or 2 cleaned up versions of favorites can make a huge difference for staying on track this Holiday Season!
Today: Clean Green Bean Casserole
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
For Creamy Sauce:
- 10 small white mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For Parmesan Topping:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small onions, thinly sliced into circles
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray large baking dish (approximately 8 x 11) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add beans along with pinch of salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes or until al dente.
- Green beans should be firm and not too soft.
- Drain and add a few cups of ice to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on medium high and add olive oil.
- Add onions and cook until golden brown/almost charred, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Return skillet to heat, spray with cooking spray and add mushrooms.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour.
- Stir enough to coat the mushrooms.
- Slowly pour almond milk and whisk while you pouring, until no lumps are left.
- Add water, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and whisk again.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer to thicken, for about 3-4 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, add breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and water to a bowl with onions and mix with your hands until crumbs appear.
- Drain green beans, add the sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer green beans to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve warm. Casserole tastes best within first couple hours after it has been cooked.
- Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 day
- Fix Guide: 1 Green, ¼ Yellow, ¼ Blue